A few people requested a city guide to some of my favorite restaurants and places to go while I am “home”. I thought Portland was already pretty amazing but since we moved away a lot of great new restaurants and stores have opened up! Here are a few of my favorites!
1 + 5. Our first stop is always Blue Star Donuts. Their donuts are so freaking good! My favorites are Blueberry Bourbon Basil, Chocolate Hazelnut Ganache, and Peanut Butter and Jelly. At least once while I am home we go and buy every single flavor and just go crazy. You have to go more than once! You just have to.
2. Roman Candle Baking Co. is always a favorite too. They are open for both breakfast and lunch and both are fantastic. They make their bread fresh everyday. On the counter their is a large container holding big golden shears to cut your pizza into bite sized pieces. Our lunch was served by the legendary Duane Sorenson himself, so that was pretty cool. (I’m a bit of a food nerd, if you didn’t know already, so I was a little star struck.
4. During our stay at The Ace Hotel we were treated to some of the cookies made by the lovely people over at Maurice. They certainly got my attention and I went the next day and purchased just about every cookie on display. Man, this post is really starting to make me sound like a pig! haha I just really love food I guess.
6. Conor and I decided to try Ava Gene’s (also owned by Duane Sorenson) for our anniversary and it did not disappoint. Conor said it was easily one of THE very best meals he had ever had in his life. The creativity and flavors had us pretty speechless.
8. Salt and Straw is one of my all time favorite ice cream places. I wish every ice cream parlor was this exciting. All of their flavors are inventive and unusual. We also go here several times while we are in the city. My favorite flavor is almond brittle with salted ganache. It’s amazing.
10. Bollywood Theater is another favorite. This is a perfect place to have lunch with friends. It is also not too fussy to I feel really comfortable taking both boys with me. We usually get something different every time but my favorite is the Kati Roll with Paneer.
Other favorite restaurants not pictured – Kure and Whole Bowl – they are right next to each other and are perfect for a quick light lunch. One servers smoothies and acai bowls and the other one has one thing on the menu – a whole bowl. But it is seriously amazing and they can get away with just 1 thing on their menu. Another great place is Boxer Ramen. The shopping near Boxer makes the location a prime lunching spot.
3. Schoolhouse Electric is always a fun place to go shopping. Conor and I love to go in their and get ideas of how to style areas in our house. We get a lot of inspiration from this place. I like to buy one or two things here and then try to find similar things for cheaper somewhere else- then arrange my house as much like the store as I can.
7. We stayed overnight at The Ace and it was super fun! But even if you can’t stay over night you can eat at the restaurant right next door – Clyde Common, another great place to eat, or get coffee on the other side next door. The lobby is always full of people working on their computers and taking pictures in their old fashioned photo booth. It’s fun to drop by and get your photo taken even if you’re not staying there.
9. A really cool little shop is Beam and Anchor. It’s another store that is more aspirational for me. I like to go in their and get lots of ideas of how to arrange my home, or things to make myself. I love all of the pottery/ceramics/art that they have in this store.
Besides eating and shopping we love to go on hikes, walks by the river and drive through the gorge. We love going to Saturday Market down town during the summer. Oh and if you are there during summer you really need to go up to Mt. Hood and do the alpine slide up there. They are soooo fun – probably more for families with children 6 and up. I’m sure I am forgetting a lot of other “favorites” but this is my list for now. What are some of your favorite places in Portland? Next time I am there I want to try them out!